Thursday, April 16, 2015

Exploration 9 from Hayley

The most effective ideas from the Profiles chapter for me were on page 215, 'Writing From Experience.' I like how it says we talk about other people all the time, and tell stories that could easily be expanded into profiles. Writing what you know is a common tool for all types of writing. I like that the same is suggested for profiles, because you wouldn't think to do something you already know about. The chapter also suggests techniques for creating profiles, like historical and cultural significance and interviews, to help paint a 'portrait' of who or what you're profiling.

I chose the profile "The Man Who Makes the World's Funniest People Even Funnier" from New York Times. The article is about film editor, Brent White, who has worked as an editor for major comedies like "Anchorman" and "Step Brothers", and his impact on the film industry. His work is mostly involved in improvisation, a technique comedians are beginning to use more and more in film. He pieces their improvisational moments together to appear coherent and funny. I think this profile is really well done because it sets the stage for the kind of work White does. It references the cultural significance his work has, even though most people don't know he is the one responsible for making a comedy so funny. The article paints nice portrait of him by citing examples of his work that everyone knows, because most people have seen and love the movies he's edited. 
A picture of White in his studio in Burbank where he edits film as it is shot
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/magazine/the-man-who-makes-the-worlds-funniest-people-even-funnier.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

3 comments:

  1. I almost chose that profile to do for my post! It was really interesting to read and I learned a lot that I never knew before about what goes into the editing of films and TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your information on the chapter was very good and I agree. You should write what you know. I also thought you profile choice was informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool profile! I did not even know that much work went into editing stuff like that!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.