Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Noah's Exploration 9

Part 1:    
     Before reading Chapter 7 in The Call to Write, I knew very little about profiles. One big thing that I learned was that profiles do not only need to be about people. For example, page 226 shows that profiles can be about places such as Cancer Alley. It seems that, as long as something has character, you can make a profile for it. I also found it interesting that, while the profiles written about people (such as the muralist on page 216) are, indeed, about that person, they are also about the times that they inhabited. To me, reading profiles is a bit like watching the film Forrest Gump in that the main narrative is about a character, but the big picture is a period piece. For example, the profile on Mike Alewitz uses the man as the main narrative focus, but the Vietnam era in which he lived was almost like a character itself.
Part 2:

     The profile that I chose to do was from Time.com’s list of 100 Most Influential People. I chose the profile of comedian and actor Kevin Hart, written by comedian and actor Chris Rock. Rock explains that Hart is the number one comedian in the business today due to his vulnerability and relatability. The way that Chris Rock gushes about the kindness and happiness that working with Kevin Hart has brought him is impactful by showing that being a nice person and working hard will get you where you want to go in life. 

http://time.com/3823293/kevin-hart-2015-time-100/
Kevin Hart at one of his stand up performances

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your insight on chapter 7. It also helped me to realize new things about the chapter, too. I love Kevin Hart and think that is a great profile.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.