Thursday, April 16, 2015

Exploration 9: Lauren

After reading Chapter 7: Profiles, in The Call To Write, I learned that adding pictures with captions to an essay is very helpful. Not only do the pictures give the reader a better understanding and concept of what is being profiled, but they are able to provide a second visual representation of the profile being done along with the writers perspective in context. Pictures are able to say so many more things than the writer can put to words. However it is crucial and very necessary to include a caption along with a picture because it is useful to help the reader get a brief explanation of what is going on in the picture and why it was chosen to be used in the profile itself. Along with pictures and captions to represent a better profile on a person, place, or thing, interviews are extremely worthwhile for the profile to have meaning to it. Interviews allow the reader to get a second opinion or second perspective on the profile being done by the writer. Direct quotes and dialogue are a great way to show specifics and picture the subject in someone else's shoes rather than your own or the writers. I think the most effective piece in the chapter was the photo essay, "Cancer Alley: The Poisoning of the American South", by Richard Misrach (photographs) and Jason Berry (essay). This essay portrayed an intense but educational view on the pollution occurring in "Cancer Alley". The pictures provided were sad and heartbreaking to view. Misrach really captured the damage and destruction from pollution in great detail to make the reader want to read more. Also, the writing styles by Berry are very intense with his descriptive words regarding the alley and pollution damage.

I found a profile on The New York Times, called "They're Not Afraid to Say It: 'Fat Yoga'", by Kayleen Schaefer. It is a profile about a class called fat yoga for those who are overweight. They are trying to break the stereotype that only skinny and fit people do yoga. They want it to be known that you can do yoga no matter what size you are. They call it fat, not to be mean, but to show that yes, they are overweight, and yes, they accept that about themselves and are there to change that.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/fashion/theyre-not-afraid-to-say-it-fat-yoga.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0
Michael Hayes teaching a class at his Buddha Body Yoga in New York

6 comments:

  1. I agree when you say the pictures are very important. They express what the writer is trying to say. I also like your profile because it is good that people overweight are trying to be healthier and do not care what people think. They want to change and are going to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the picture comment as well! This is a very cool argument: it explains that fat is not as insult, it's just a description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This profile is very powerful. They are trying to make a point by proving that weight doesn't get in the way of what they want to do. I like that they are accepting of who they are and want to show other people that they can work hard to achieve anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this profile because most people do thing that yoga is for fit and skinny people. This profile was powerful and inspirational for people of all shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I hope that they branch out from the "Fat Yoga" branch and into other yoga classes in order to show people that yoga is for everyone, no matter the size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I hope that they branch out from the "Fat Yoga" branch and into other yoga classes in order to show people that yoga is for everyone, no matter the size.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.